Wednesday, May 17, 2017

I'm Dreaming of a Tropical Vacation

 

Hello! 
I hope this finds you on a sunny day - at least sunny in spirit!  It's (still) raining and gloomy here.  It just snowed over 2 inches on one of our mountain passes last night!  We've had the weirdest weather this spring, and the sun has made a few random appearances. 
 
The only perk to blecky weather is that, as a high school math teacher, there are less wardrobe issues at school.   Our district has a dress code that basically says, in legalese, keep your private parts covered.  And don't expose shoulders.  That's so tube tops and halter tops don't happen.  And then there is no risk of a wardrobe malfunction.  Of course, some say that is sexualizing students and an example of gender discrimination.  It's distracting to see any students private bits exposed.  I don't want to see it, really.  And if I'm holding my breath that you might move the wrong way and expose your private bits, then you don't have enough clothes on.  Regardless of gender. 
Of course, it's never that simple.  We had a day and a half of nice weather (it broke into the high 60's) and there were issues.  In fact, we had LOUD protests outside my portable, with lots of drama, and news cameras(!) and interruptions to class.  All during AP testing, of course.  It was a challenge to teach that day.  Then the weather gods smiled on our school, and there has been no more sun.  They are promising some next week.  I'm not holding my breath for it.
Anyway, all this dreariness has me dreaming of sunny, tropical locales!  My best girlfriend and I are going to meet in Orlando, FL (she'll be finishing up a conference there) and I'm flying to meet her, and then we road trip to Key West!!!!!  I'm so excited..  I love, love, love, love tropical pictures and locations.  Seeing Key West has always been on my bucket list, since I was a wee child.
I grew up in a small town in the Pacific Northwest, where ocean water is dark and freezing.  There were pictures of my Mom standing in a very large pool.  Nope, that's from when my Dad was stationed at Key West Coast Guard Station, and she was standing in the Atlantic Ocean.  Ever since then I've loved water that looks like that.  I even got to go to Hawaii once, and that was amazing.  But Key West has been a part of my dreams from childhood.  My Mom was going through old boxes (again when I was young) and pulled out a navy and green paisley dress, and matching shoes - 60s kitten heeled pumps.  I thought it was beautiful, but I was already to big to fit into the dress my Mom wore when she was in her 20s.  I loved it though, and it was made of "Key West fabric" and the shoes were made with identical fabric as the dress. 
 
As I write this, I know where my love of blue and green and tropical comes from. 
 
I'm so lucky to have a friend who loves to travel, and thought to invite me and make a trip out of her work week.  We haven't traveled together, but we work shop well together.  We "get" each other, and can spend many (many!) hours together, and still wish we had more time to hang out.  We respect each others needs and tastes, and I think we will travel well together.  She is a planner - thank Heavens!  There are reservations for every part of the trip, and she has a list of activities that we can do.  I'm really easygoing, and I'm just up for the adventure.  As planning was happening, she'd email "what do you think about...." and I'd just reply "Sounds great!"  It all sounds great, and I can hardly wait to go.
 
One of our planning conversations revolved around a day trip to the Bahamas.  I admitted I didn't have a passport, so it wasn't an option.  My friend (who has travelled internationally for decades now) said no worries.  And it turned out the trip didn't have great reviews.  I wanted to us to not go because we didn't want to, not because we couldn't.  Hence, the photos.   (Edit: My passport came in the mail - only 3 weeks - and I'm SOOOOOOOOOOOO excited!).  It took weeks to get the appointment for the passport interview.  The actual interview only took about 10 minutes...filling out the paperwork in advance took way longer than that! 
 
So you can see I've had sunshine on the brain.  I used a Cluck Cluck Sew pattern, and this came out of it.  It just makes me smile, and the tangerine binding is the happiest fabric I can imagine at the moment. Note the tropical blue chair?  Yup, it's my favorite. 
I'm wishing you tropical times...
 
 
 
 
 
 

No comments:

Post a Comment