Friday, May 13, 2016

I Just Need to Make Something!

Some times you just need to play with your sewing machine. You need to MAKE something. "Hey, I've got a 'skein' of clothes line, let's see what I can do..."
The inspiration really hails from Leyda Greenwood in my TacMQGuild. We did an orphan block swap and she made a cooler version of this from the block she got. I loved it! I've made fabric bowls before, but they were completely covered in fabric. This has a more modern aesthetic, with the line showing mostly, and bits of color appearing.
I should have used a bigger width cord, as the teeny tiny width that was available at my local Fred Meyer is toooo skinny.  There is no strength in it, and the bowl is super floppy. It will need to just sit somewhere, it's not meant to carry an object from place to place.  There are two more skeins that need to be used - I'll have to figure out a way to use more fabric or somehow shore up the sides and base.
I'm proud of the swirl I added at the very end. It's a nice flourish. I think I'll play with curves and gaps next. Leyda posted a tutorial and it was inspiring.  If i can find it again,  I'll link it here.
Best,

No comments:

Post a Comment