Thursday, June 16, 2016

So, what can we do?

I am a part of a bee.  There are 6 of us.  Two, 12" blocks. I picked last so that I would have time to decide on a block I wanted to pick.  Paper piecing was off limits, so of course, EVERY block I liked was a paper-pieced block.  I've been worrying about this in the back of my brain since January.  For those of you that don't know me, if there is something I can possibly worry about, I will.  I had no idea what to pick.  Colors would be easy (yes, blue and green) but the block left me cold.

Then Orlando happened.  Along with most of America, I was(am!)  feeling hurt and frustrated.  There had to be a quilting response, and Alissa Lapinsky and the Orlando MQG stepped in.  They are making/organizing quilts for the victims who survive, the families of those who didn't, and, if there is enough, the first responders.  When I saw the blocks, 10" hearts, I knew the blocks I wanted for my bee blocks.

A quick text to my bee mates with the link http://theorlandomodernquiltguild.blogspot.com/ and they were more than on board.  Since there were 6, and there are 6 colors in the rainbow, each person picked a color and volunteered to make 5 each. 

When it's right, you know.  This is a far better use of blocks than any I could have hoped for myself. 

So I'll make at least one quilt, and send it off.  And maybe I'll make more. Making these was more therapeutic than I thought it would be.  Maybe there are dozens more in my stash...

To quote Lin-Manuel Miranda "Senseless acts of tragedy remind us that nothing here is promised, not one day."  and "Love is Love is Love is Love - it cannot be killed or swept aside."

Love each other!

No comments:

Post a Comment