Friday, December 16, 2016

Long Tall Glowing

Hello Again!  Yes this is the second post tonight.  I actually have time, and access to the laptop. 
 
This quilt glows.  The pattern is "Long Tall", hence Long Tall Glowing.  This is a great example  of how much a difference the fabric makes.   The pattern cover is in shades of brown, and, to my eye, meh.  At the sewing expo (every February at the Puyallup Fair Grounds!), I had seen a glorious quilt in spectacular greens and aquas.  It was Amy Butler "Glow" fabric.  These pictures don't do the glow-i-ness justice.  I walked past the pattern many, many times, and had to ask the clerk where I could find it.  When she handed it to me, I was surprised, to say the least. 
My best-girlfriend was with me, and she saw my hesitation in getting the pattern and the fabric, and she encouraged me to go for it.  It didn't take a lot of encouraging, but I'm so glad that she helped me to make a good decision.   This is also a lesson  in how fabric lines play together.  I always love Amy Butler fabrics, and Tula Pink, and the showy lines. But I never buy them since I don't always see how it's going to go together.  I would have never put these together, with the variety of designs and colors.  This is why I'm not a fabric designer!   
 
The picture of the back is so gloomy, I'm not even putting it here.  In reality is it a gold flecked aqua, and pieced with a variety of leftover fabrics from the front.   
My son asked what I was going to do with it.  I said, I didn't have any plans for it.  He asked, "Well, then, can we just keep it, and you don't give it away?" That's about as high of praise as I can get from him.  So, yes, we can keep this one.  It currently lives on our bed.  We have a king, and this is a generous full, so it lies sideways across the bed.
 
Once the sun comes back, in say, April, I'll try to get a good show of it in its "home". 
 
Coming soon: Pics of Christmas gifts for friends (OK, so none of them see my blog, so it's probably safe, but you never know...)  and my secret sewing can be revealed in January.  I'm really excited to share with you what I was allowed to do, and how honored I am to have gotten to do this sewing.
 
Much Love,

No comments:

Post a Comment