Thursday, May 25, 2017

Baby, Baby, Baby

I promised pics of some baby quilts ages ago, and then never managed to get them posted.  I will share some here, and some made since.  I have a real treasure to show you though...the first quilt I ever made.

I made a baby quilt for a young man who will be 20 very soon.  Eek!  I asked his Momma if I could take a photo of it, and she graciously pulled it out of its storage box  My heart is so happy that she knew right where it was..that told me a lot.  When I took some photos, I noticed a seam that had come undone.  I offered to bring it home to fix it.  As I looked at it, I was appalled and embarrassed and simultaneously thrilled to look at it.  There are elements that are so, well, badly done.  The quilter I am now just wanted to go through and "fix" it.  It took a lot of restraint to just fix the seam (a quick little zig-zag), and not go through and add quilting and more quilting.  There was a little of stitch in the ditch and that was about it.  It's amazing it survived the wash with so little holding the layers together.

By the same token, it is a time capsule of who I was then  And the comparison of who I am now, and how far I've come.  Things like using quilt shop quality fabrics, and using Warm 'n' Natural as opposed to the puffy poly stuff.  And now more quilting.  And bindings that are either done with tiny stitches that you can barely see, or machined for long wear and tear.  I used the pattern religiously back then, and now they are usually a jumping off point for me.

I can honestly say I've grown...I was a total novice and made it with love.  And even though I'm no longer a novice, I'm still learning.  And I still make each quilt with love - because every item should wrap you in love, and be blessed with prayers and happy wishes.

 I'm fortunate for the ability to do what I love and get to make baby quilts for my colleagues.  My administrators have enabled this habit, and it is baby season at our school.  These two have all gone to their respective homes, and the babies involved.  We are on baby watch for the most recent.  As a matter of fact, they were finding in-house emergency coverage today - I hope that means there was a last minute call to the hospital.  The one in the chair will be handed off tomorrow morning...this baby is due this summer, so it will find it's new home before the school year ends.


Also, I was so excited to make a baby quilt for an OLD friend.  I met him back when I was an undergraduate, and he was one of the engineering physics TAs.  I hated physics, and really didn't understand a lot of it, but it was a requirement for a BS in Mathematics.  I'd actually like to retake a physics class now as an adult, just to understand the ideas, since the math wouldn't get in the way at this point.  Anyhoo, Harry and I became friends, and over the years have stayed in touch.  A few years ago he met his love, and they married.  I was and am so happy for them.  They were trying to get pregnant for quite a while, and they have just recently been blessed with Miss Eve.  She is tiny and precious.  A week before she was born, I got the style, color and theme information.  Momma wanted a fish/marine theme, with blue, green and yellow.  Well, that was right in my stash!  I sent a few pics her way, and she chose one. The book was not available in print, and I was thinking I'll create my own pattern.  I found an electronic pdf of the book - it was only $6 ish for the entire book, or $3 for the one quilt. Of course I got the book (and am so glad I did...so much inspiration inside!).  The only purchase was a half yard for the background of the fish.  And I probably could have made it work with my stash, but on such a short timeline, I didn't want to fuss with it.

Funny story, as I was about to mail this off, I realized I had no good pics.  So I went across the street to the park and tried to take pics.  Of course, every time I stepped away to take a pic, it fell to the ground.  Two middle-school aged boys were walking by, and I thought I'd risk it.  "Gentleman, can you help me with something?"  "Maybe..." (They probably thought I was a creeper at that moment).  I explained what I needed and they were happy to each take a corner.  They were impressed that I had made this thing.  I forget that not everyone gets to see handmade items created in their lives and homes.

 The quilt made it to it's new home, and I'm thrilled that they love it.  That really is the best praise ever. That and using it.  I need to send them washing instructions (I was so focused on getting it there on time, I forgot to include them), and an explanation that it is meant to be used, and it comes with a lifetime warranty.  So please, use it, and try to wear it out.

Life really is good!

9 comments:

  1. Isn't it fun to see an old early quilt you made and realize how far you've come? It is hard to not "fix" it!

    Your baby quilts are so cute! They're so fun to make, and yours show the love that was put into them. And good job by those young men to help you. Glad you could show them something handmade. I don't think enough kids are exposed to that any more.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you Sharon! I try to imbue each item I make with love. I'm glad some of that comes through.

      I try to show my finished projects to my students before the projects go to their destination. I tell them there job is to say "ooh" and "ah". Some do it just because they are supposed to, but some are genuinely interested in how they come to be made.

      Delete
  2. Hi Leigh Ann,
    Oh my goodness - those middle school students holding the quilt is just the best! I love your fishy quilt, and that it found its way to Miss Eve. I just made a fishy quilt too. I also love the yellow and purple quilt - and how cute that your kitty is enjoying it or checking it out. ~smile~
    Roseanne

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Roseanne - That is our cat Henry. He knows he is the boss of the house, and he investigates all the sewing. I wash each quilt before it's given away, but I'm sure that even then it probably isn't cat-free!

      Delete
    2. Leigh Ann - I don't see any way to follow your blog??? You should have an email sign up or something on the side . . . how can I see how your trip to Key West goes?! ~smile~ Roseanne

      Delete
    3. Thank you for the heads up - I think I have that fixed...Let me know!

      Delete
  3. I hear you about looking at old projects. But the important thing is to remember the quilter you've become and all the quilts along the way that helped get you there. I remember more from my mistakes than from if I get it right or accidently get it right and then wonder why the next block is not working out as the first one was so easy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The "now the block works - now it doesn't " can drive me crazy! It usually comes down to (the lack of) precision.of cuts and accuracy of seams for me. I love how you said the quilts along the way making me who I am as a quilter...like friends along the way.

      Delete
  4. I love those fishies!!! What book was the pattern in? The purple and yellow quit is lovely, too. I like your lifetime warranty and the line "please try to wear it out!"

    ReplyDelete