Saturday, July 8, 2017

A Trio of Pouches


After an amazing vacation to the Florida Keys, I am home and sewing again. I missed the time with my machine. I had forgotten, in the interim, that Mary, my big Brother machine, was in for repairs.
It can straight stitch and zig zag, but couldn't free motion without snapping needles. Good thing that I bought a 100 pack of Schmetz needles via Massdrop. I snapped 5 in 15 minutes, and went to my local Quality Sewing and Vac for help. They filed a burr (or three) from the needle plate so I could eek out the 4 projects that were all due in a day and a half. It worked for about 10 minutes. But now I knew it wasn't me, and 4 needles snapped to finish up the projects (I will post about those later...).
I also forgot how to actually thread my Featherweight as well. The stitches were a bird's nest. And as we know, if there's a problem with Flossie's stitches, it's not her. It's something I did. I made multiple tries and FINALLY got it right. My brain was too muddled from a long vacation and lack of practice!
So anyway,  I got to play!
I will be leading a staff sewing "fling" next week, and the group had requested zipper pouches. So I've chosen two simple, beginner-friendly ones. The first will be a flat pouch, and then a pouch with boxed corners and stitched in tabs around the zipper. I'll try and remember to get pics and post them. BUT, as I was trolling around the internet looking for simple patterns and some measurements, I came across Noodlehead's open-wide pouch tutorials. So cute, and pretty easy, and a way to get back into the zipper groove.
I like how they came out, and getting to play with some pretty fabrics in bigger chunks. Note to self: time to get a bigger variety of zippers on-hand!
I made the full set of three...the large is huge. Part of me wants to use them because they are so pretty, but they might make a great gift for someone.




1 comment:

  1. Love your pouches! They're so pretty. And I love that tute by Noodlehead - it is my go-to for gift-giving. I have some for me too! Yep, definitely need a good supply of zippers!

    Sorry to hear of your sewing machine woes. That is not fun.

    ReplyDelete